Project on rehabilitation science education successfully closed
June 2022 - Phase I of SDF’s CRP project titled SAARC Regional Inter-Professional Master’s Program in Rehabilitation Science at the Bangladesh Health Professions Institute was officially closed this quarter (April-June 2022) after benefiting hundreds of graduates in the region.
The Phase I of the project started in 2013 with an approved funding of US$ 1.5 million. SDF is now supporting implementation of Phase II of the project.
Disability is a significant issue in South Asia and the region needs quality therapists who are trained and retained in the health profession to continue developing meaningful services for people with disabilities. Therefore, the project is geared towards building a cadre of leaders capable of advancing education, research and practice in the field of disability and rehabilitation in the SAARC Member States. Rehabilitation science is an interdisciplinary area of study that investigates human disability and function and helps people achieve optimal health.
The project is implemented by a Bangladesh-based institute called the Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed, Bangladesh Health Professional Institute (CRP). Each year, SDF supports about 30 Masters students (50 percent reserved for students from the SAARC Member States and 50 percent for Bangladeshi Students). The Phase I of the project had the following objectives:
· To build the health and rehabilitation human resources for services, education, policy and research in the SAARC region through development of capacity of the BHPI, CRP to deliver regional, inter-professional, graduate education programs.
· To create effective, modern learning facilities providing access for students and faculty members to electronic and library resources and current teaching and learning technologies.
· To create a cadre of leaders capable of advancing education, research and practice in the field of disability and rehabilitation Science in Bangladesh and participating countries of the SAARC region.
Some of the achievements of the Phase I project are:
1. Establishment of a first ever Masters’ Program in Rehabilitation Science under the University of Dhaka.
2. Construction of a well-furnished International Hostel accommodating about 60 students.
3. Improved access to learning facilities for 120 students through upgradation of Institute’s library.
4. Enrollment of 120 students through Scholarship (60 students from SAARC Member states and 60 from Bangladesh).